Mlb predictions for today

r/SFGiants: The Best Giants Forum

2010.10.30 10:06 kasutori_Jack r/SFGiants: The Best Giants Forum


2016.10.17 01:14 trewsae WATCH… ' Los Angeles Dodgers..v/s..Chicago Cubs' (GAME) LIVE. ONLINE.. FREE.. MLB TODAY

WATCH… ' Los Angeles Dodgers..v/s..Chicago Cubs' (GAME) LIVE. ONLINE.. FREE.. MLB TODAY

2021.12.07 01:45 NewsCryptocurrency Cryptotodaynews

Cryptocurrency News Today - Cryptocurrency News alerts to watch and read Today: Bitcoin (BTC); Ethereum (ETH); Blockchain; ICO; Ripple; DeFi; Litecoin ( LTC ); Dogecoins; Shiba INU; Altcoins; NFT. What is the best cryptocurrency to invest, Free- Cryptocurrency Course For Beginners 2022, Crypto Mining, CryptoCurrency Predictions, CryptoCurrency Trading.

2023.06.08 00:26 UniversityFrequent15 Camping in the Cambrian Mountains

Camping in the Cambrian Mountains
When most people go camping in Wales, Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons seem to be the places to go, but mid Wales is often overlooked. It may not hold some of the loftier summits found in the aforementioned national parks, but it also draws far fewer crowds, and to me that is a big selling point. You can walk for hours without seeing a single soul. Having received some bad news about a family member, solitude and space was exactly what I needed.
I spent the day before obsessing over my kit. I am no ultra light camper - far from it, but this time I wanted to cut out as much weight as possible. While packing, every item was questioned. I worked out how many tent pegs I needed, allowed 2 spares and removed the others. I swapped out a small folding table for a canister stand for the stove, I substituted my chair for an ultra light stool, and I would rely on a water filter rather than bringing all the water I need (usually 2L plus a drink). I got my pack weight down to 12kg, not light to some, but to someone who thinks 18kg is reasonable, I was quite happy with this number. I decided half a litre was enough to take for the walk as the weather was warm. Going down a season on the sleeping bag was tempting due to the warmer weather but on the mountains it is very different at night. A strong westerly wind was forecast, so wind chill was definitely going to be a factor to bear in mind.
The walk in didn't get off to the best start. I had to follow a track through a farm where it split - one path was longer and less steep, the other shorter and steeper but having better options for collecting water. I chose the latter of the two but took the wrong path because my watch's compass had decided to play up for a moment. Once the error was realised, I was not concerned, knowing that both paths would arrive at the same location, I continued on.
There would be a couple of springs near this path I would use to take on water, and a couple of associated bodies of water, but alas, both of these springs were bone dry, the ground there dessicated and cracked where a once sizeable pool of water sat. A pool of murky stagnant water was now my only option at the altitude I had reached. Deciding not to opt for the murky pool, I headed down the path I was originally going to walk up until I reach the remains of an old mine - and for this reason was glad to have bought a water filter, as this was an old lead mine. The water may possibly have been OK to drink, but it was not a risk I was willing to entertain. Now with a couple of litres of filtered water in my pack I headed back up.
At 754m the summit is very prominent over the surrounding hills. The view is spectacular, and easily offers a panorama that could rival many a fine view from the Lake District or Scotland. The sun shone strong in a cloudless sky, and beneath it a diffused reflection of it coming off the Irish Sea - something you don't expect to see from mid Wales. To the north, you could see as far as the Aran ridge and Cadair Idris. If it were not for the haze, even the Carneddau of northern Snowdonia could be visible.
Once I had finished admiring the scenery, it was time to find somewhere to spend the night. The view from the summit would make a fine view to open the tent to in the morning, but the forecast was mist and fog overnight, clearing later in the morning, so there would likely be no views at all. This was one factor that influenced my decision on where to camp, but the overriding one was, as often with summit camping, the wind. It was a relentless 30mph wind, no gusts, just strong and steady. Spending the night on the summit would meant enduring the noise of the constant winds battering the tent. I opted for a spot just below the summit ridge on the Western side of the mountain, with the wind coming in from the east. It took me a while of following the summit ridge, checking what the wind was like while stood, and again while crouched, to see what the wind would be like hitting the tent, for me to decide on a spot.
According to the forecast, temperatures would dip down to 5° but with the wind chill factor would take it down to -2°, and from past experience, I believed that it probably wasn't too far off the mark, with low cloud and mist added into the mix. That was what had made me decide on a 3 season sleeping bag.
By some stroke of luck, the spot I found that offered some shelter from the worst of the wind, also had the best ground for pitching a tent; level and quite flat, and luxuriously soft, a combination of grass and moss which is almost always wet, but not today. This was ideal. Of course, a flat pitch is a rarity, and even when you find what you think is a flat pitch, you often find that even the slightest gradient can soon make you realise it wasn't as flat as first thought, often indicated by the way you rarely wake up with your body or mat in their original positions. I wasn't complaining though, as I had done far worse in the past.
I sat outside until nearly midnight watching the sun go down, with brief interruptions of having to get up and walk for a minute of two to get the blood flowing and warm myself up a bit. With the combined factors of darkness, uneven ground, boots not being tied, strong wind and a generous amount of vodka, I spent what seemed like a full minute nearly falling over. Somehow I remained on my feet, but decided it was most certainly time to hit the hay.
I woke some time after 5, and could see the light was creeping in, and recognised a familiar colour of light I have seen many a time from within the tent, so popped my head out to confirm that indeed we were clagged in, and there would be no glorious sunrise. Still, that sunset the previous night was a tough act to follow. Despite me having what I thought was warm enough clothing, it was actually the cold that had awoken me. I had planned ahead and bought a down blanket to throw over me in case I had gotten cold. The blanket is very effective and before long at all I was toasty, the warmth causing me to nod off again for another couple of hours.
The cloud had all cleared, blue skies and fluffy white clouds greeted me by the time I re-emerged from the tent. I was going nowhere without coffee and porridge, and by the time my gear was all packed and ready to go, the sun was beating down again. My return journey was via the same route that had got me there. I could have made it down quite quickly but opted to saunter, and quite likely I could have easily missed seeing some incredible red kites flying had I put my head down and marched back to the car.
This was one of those trips where I didn't take the weather for granted, it was well planned, well looked forward to and well enjoyed. Sometimes it takes a camp like this to make us realise that all those wet camps in rough weather make trips like this one quite special.
submitted by UniversityFrequent15 to wildcampingintheuk [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:26 ClownBaby0811 What are these little bastards

What are these little bastards
I have been living in my home for seven years now. I have been getting bites from these turds in the back yard here and there ever since then. What are they? They are never in the house, just outside. I was finally able to get a picture of alot of them today. For some reason they are crowded on my pool skimmer. I am located in eastern PA.
submitted by ClownBaby0811 to whatsthisbug [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:25 PsycadelicChimp My experience, any help or opinions would be much appreciated.

So I'm 21 years old and have noticed I've had this bag of worms looking thing on my left testicle for maybe 2-4 years, cant exactly remember when. I had a really bad pain in the same location a few years ago and got told that it's nothing serious when I got it checked out and to come back it the pain continued but it didn't.
Last week I decided to search around on Google and came across Varicoceles and it all made sense and I was certain this is what I had and seeing that it can lower fertility and testosterone thought it was best to get it checked out as soon as I could.
My appointment with my local GP was today and explained to him what I thought it was and he confirmed that it does seem to be a Varicocele however its nothing serious and very rare to affect fertility so nothing to worry about. I again explained to him my worries for the future and he said we can book an ultrasound within the next 2 months for me. I'm also under the impression that it's grade 3 as it's fairly big and easily visible while standing but my GP said he's never even heard about the grading of varicoceles.
Over the last year or so I have felt very tired and lethargic with very low motivation and drive to do anything in general. I struggle to stay asleep and haven't woke up rested for as long as I can remember. This ofcourse could be something completely separate but seeing people say they have experience the same thing make me believe it could be linked to the varicocele and low testosterone. I do have some facial hair but hasn't fully started growing fully on the cheeks yet, and I also find it pretty easy to put on and maintain muscle with a small amount of working out.
I feel that it is in my best interests to get a second opinion from a more specialised doctor who understands this a bit more then a general practitioner. I would like to also know if my testosterone levels and sperm count has been affected at all.
If anyone has experienced anything similar or has an opinion or comment to make it would be much appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions or give me any advice at all. Thanks
submitted by PsycadelicChimp to varicocele [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:25 Sad_Priority_4813 Hard to.. Live ?

Most of the time I feel like I'm the only one that's struggling with things in life, and that everyone else is just.. doing things, easily.
What's worse if that people actually tell me that. "You're clearly overreacting, just do it and get it over with", "well this decision is easy just do A" and when I point my arguments "well then just do B" and then "you're overthinking it, just do A or B and whatever", "yeah I know this student they're always over-engineering easy things, and then complain it's hard", "why do you always make your life hard ?"
I just want to live, it seems something so easy, by seeing others ): and entire generations have lived miserable/poor lifes in the past just so I get to live today and not being able to enjoy life for absolutely no reason.
I hate it
submitted by Sad_Priority_4813 to offmychest [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:24 CheekClapper0327 Jersey Mikes Columbus, Ga

Just accepted what I thought was a great order, it was stacked but $18 for 3.5 miles total not to shabby. Pull up, door dashers out the door waiting for sandwiches. I unassigned so fast 😂 so much for my goal today lol
submitted by CheekClapper0327 to doordash [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:24 MisterManSir- Why do we consider the epistles wiser / more accurate than any Christian thinkers of the past 1900 years?

As many of us know, it is entirely possible that not all of the epistles were written by Peter, Paul, or James, and was instead written “in the spirit” of them by use of a pseudonym. Additionally, the authors of the early church were grappling with the reality of what had happened - the coming of Christ… which is what we still grapple with today. And, of course, the Bible is a compilation that people put together.
I also hope we all agree that God works through time and through people. There has been a progression of Christian thought. What we thought to be true about our faith was either wrong and we did away with it (slavery, patriarchy, sexism, etc) and to solely give credit to the biblical authors as if we finally read their works “correctly” would be naive.
I don’t understand this either-or logic that the Bible is either infallible and God breathed and therefore all we need, or (God forbid??) writers of the last 1900 years have given us new insights into the truth and life and reality of Jesus which, somehow, nullifies any biblical importance. Why can’t we say that the Bible his of significant importance (for the obvious reasons) and there has been wonderful literature that has expanded our knowledge of God and the universe?
Posting this bc I’m in seminary so I obv have to read from a wide variety of Christian writers and it makes me downright curious when something NT Wright / Keller / Daniel Taylor / Teresa / Aquinas / Piper / CS Lewis etc. is disregarded because of one thing Paul said in a letter. Frankly, this kind of arguing makes it sound like preachers and Christian authors shouldn’t exist because we already have what we need (the Bible)
submitted by MisterManSir- to Christianity [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:24 nativeplantquestions Sunscreen reaction or stress rash?

Sunscreen reaction or stress rash?
These bumps just appeared on both arms today, the same area I used sunscreen a few days ago. They don’t itch or anything…I thought at first it was a stress rash as I’ve been super stressed for the past few days. I’ve had these pop up before in the same area when I was extremely stressed. They look super similar to my keratosis pilaris bumps but I never get that on my lower arms and it doesn’t happen fast like this did.
submitted by nativeplantquestions to DermatologyQuestions [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:24 JakesOutput Just called into QVC

Apparently no one named “Michael Quinn” or the brand “Feltmans Hot dogs” are on air today. I told them he loves to abuse autistic children for clout.
They also said no one this week with that brand will be on?
submitted by JakesOutput to MikeyQuinn [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:24 Ok_Cartographer_1504 My gf likes this piece so I matted and framed it for her today... Prismacolor 16x20

My gf likes this piece so I matted and framed it for her today... Prismacolor 16x20 submitted by Ok_Cartographer_1504 to drawing [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:24 lagrangianblunt Girl always tries to schedule date in between her activities ?

First time poster, long time lurker!
This may sound weird and perhaps I am being high maintenance, but I started chatting with a girl and we have been trying to find time to get together. Her schedule was super busy, so we texted for a while before we were able to meet.
Then we finally met up, she came by my pool to chill, I felt we were having good back and forth and then she said she had to go leave to sell some furniture. We chilled for an hour maybe less, found it weird but the energy was good so I took it as bad timing.
Now it’s been a month or so since we’ve chilled, and similarly she’s always trying to schedule something right in between her activities and it kind of throws me off. Example “I’m off work at 4 and meeting some friends at 6, wanna grab a quick drink at 5?” And it’s kind of always like that. Her availability is always like an hour window. Even if it’s a little longer, she always would have some social event to race too afterward.
We’ve texted now for 2 months, saw each other only once for that hour lol. The connection and energy seemed good but at this rate I think it’ll take us forever to even determine if we’re a match ? Idk, the whole giving me a one hour time window makes me think she doesn’t really respect me/value me or my time/schedule. We don’t really know me another that we’ll so she doesn’t owe me anything, but it seems to lack basic dating etiquette in my opinion. Am I wrong ?
I’d like to get everyone’s thoughts on this?
Last week I finally alluded and made the joke that it seems our schedules are working against us. She laughed and said I know we should definitely connect this week. I said I’m free these days then she said her typical “cool let’s meet after work but I need to make my (insert activity) at this time”, giving us again like an hour to meet or so.
I actually responded with, well would you rather meet the other days I’m free when you have more time? And she said no I think this would work great! Not taking my hint at all.
Just want to ask the gen pop if I’m being weird about this ? For social friends meeting up quick for lunch or something makes sense but for a date idk, it just seems off and knowing I’m on this time limit sort of fucks with my mojo. It’s fine if you already know each other, not if you’re trying to get to know each other.
Personally if I have a workout class at 6 or 7 I’d either say I’m not free that evening or meet them after, but that’s just me. If I have plans with you, you have my full attention.
Today she suggested the quick meet again and I want to say something or just ghost tbh.
Let me know your thoughts ! All comments appreciated.
TL:DR been trying to make plans with a girl for a while and she only is ever available for a one hour window between activities. Is she not respecting time our am I weird ?
submitted by lagrangianblunt to dating [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 Hfx204902 Update/Cycle Question

Update/Cycle Question
Thank you to everyone who commented on our last post.
The Plecos are doing much better now, more back to their playful ways and eating again and pooping alot again lol.
We ended up adding two elephant skin stone pieces to the tank and it has raised the PH from 6.0 or less (lowest on test) to 6.6-6.8.
This is causing the tank to actually try and cycle properly.
We finally had Nitrite of 0.25-0.50 ppm (closer to 0.25). The Ammonia though was 2.0-4.0 so I didn't feel right about leaving it as is and did a 20-25% water change.
When I tested today from Saturday the PH has increased to 6.6-6.8.
The first stone changed it to 6.4 after a water change but back down to 6 after a few days. (We will be eyeing it to make sure it doesn't get to high 7s)
Did I ruin the cycle by doing this water change, in the future if I see these similar results with higher Ammonia but nitrites present, just leave the tank and allow it to cycle the Ammonia and use something to make the ammonia non toxic like nutrafin cycle?
** These lights are only on for the pictures. We have the dimmed led lights on usually like in the last pic.
Lol and don't mind our dirty waterstained glass 😬
submitted by Hfx204902 to pleco [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 hoodiemonday How tf do I delete a player. This guy is too good. 500+ strikeouts is unrealistic.

How tf do I delete a player. This guy is too good. 500+ strikeouts is unrealistic. submitted by hoodiemonday to OOTP [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 Historical_Invite556 No good deed goes unpunished

So I foster for a non profit and today we went to someone who has a feral cat colony. Together we've got over 70 cats neutered/spayed just from that one place. Not including the ones that were homeable. Today I caught 4 kittens and the other person caught 1. And then the other person, she dared to ask the people there if they were willing to give some money to help pay the kittens vet care since two have bad eye infections. The person replied with calling her a b**ch and said to just leave the kittens there .
The person then just kept cursing and slamming stuff around as she went back in the house.
One kittens eyes were completely closed but after washing them she could see. And through her head back screaming when she saw me... The vet said they all look pretty healthy and to just give them eye ointment for cats.
Please note that they didn't pay for any of the feral cats to be neutered/spayed. It was all from the non profit. And yes there is a discount as most TNR programs have. The good news? The kittens are now with me and doing well. I currently have 10 foster kittens now and 3 foster adults. And I've made it over 150 fosters total!
So I count it as a success story! I'm sure 5 of my kittens will go fast as they are just about old enough, and the new ones will hopefully go fast once they are infection free.
submitted by Historical_Invite556 to FosterAnimals [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 jazzymoontrails HELP...B2B is so different than DTC.

Hello! I wanted some opinions from fellow EAs. This is fully remote, and my prior job was fully remote.
TLDR at the beginning: started out in DTC ecomm, CEO and directors were angels to work for, stayed up late to solve problems WITH the team, very hands on. Now I am in B2B with 2 finance bro co- founder CEOs who are the opposite from the DTC CEO. They have never ever scaled a business themselves, and are trying to scale one to which I am their EA/operations person. Having a massively difficult time with how out of touch they are with the reality of internal ops, not reading shit I send, not sending me documents I literally NEED to do my job, and an overall weird culture of SALES SALES SALES only with ZERO care about literally providing me with the minimum requirements for internal harmony- example being I have asked for the same thing 4 times with no follow up and I cannot submit something important without it. Is this normal for B2B or nah, and what do I do?
Context is necessary.
My last job was in the DtC ecomm sphere. It was a startup brand with products in a very particular niche. We blew up and began rapidly growing on social media. Eventually we redirected a lot of time into lifestyle content within the niche...the CEO loved marketing and social media stuff, totally excelled at it, and wasn't shy about not jiving much with CX stuff and operations. That is where I came in: I LOVE CX, ops, and internal stuff. Eventually I built out the CX department with another person, helped build out operations procedures, KPIs, SOPs, the whole nine yards, and aided the CEO wherever needed. At that time, CEO was a one person board of directors, no C-Suite team. It was pretty much just him, the warehouse manager, HFinance guy, and myself + one other person in CX. The dynamic was very interesting. I didn't exactly even have a title, but we referred to me as a "CX/operations supervising manager" until my promotion.
By the promotion, we did have a Director of Brand Management, but no C-Suite. We ended up hiring a Director of E-commerce but that person didn't begin until my promotion started.
The promotion was to become our company's "project manager" where I worked specifically right under & with the brand director, mostly focusing on the marketing team and contractors vs working with customers and operations. This wasn't a huge change as far as what I did role before, while in CX, was primarily making sure that all things CX ran smoothly, training the team, developing best practices, doing literally any and every task that was sent my way from the CEO or marketing manager (who became the Director of Brand Management). The only thing that changed was not dealing with customers anymore and having more official responsibilities + a title. I still worked with the same folks, was basically the same as far as hierarchy went (although technically higher up due to the other title changes and no longer being responsible for any basic CX stuff), and my relationships with those in the company only slightly changed due to departing from CX stuff. This is all to say that things were VERY chill, my coworkers and higher ups were freaking amazing, and I will always love them. I sadly had to quit because I needed to find a job that had a certain benefit that this company sadly didn't qualify for, or else I'd still be there. Basically, my work was not EA but everything I did was assisting the CEO and stuff he needed to make the operation run smoothly from everything but marketing, to my best ability.
Now, I have become an EA for a B2B sales startup. HOLY FUCK. HELP. I have nothing actually bad to say about the two co-founders I work for as people, but man it is so so so so different.
In DtC, we stayed up until the sun came up solving operations problems. We literally had no "off" switch which I know was not healthy but like...we didn't let things slide? We ran a tight but chill ship bc we were just...all on the same wavelength? Idk.
The CEO was not your typical businessperson- like I said, very creative minded and into content stuff. Everything was extremely straightforward. I never had to guess what was up, if there as a problem, best believe everyone knew. I feel that this next point is also relative, just to understand the culture of the prior company: CEO and every other major person on the totem pole I mentioned was high functioning autistic/neurodivergent. They've been open about this on public podcasts and shows, so sharing this isn't a problem. But with that, things were about as straight forward and blunt as you could get, but also really keenly aware of how they acted bc of masking. I have ADHD so I kind of get it, but we were open with this fact and idk it was nice I guess. Hard to explain.
Now, my new company is nothing like this. The co-founders are two finance bros who were kind enough to bring me on to help, as I do know them IRL. This job accommodates the thing I couldn't get at my prior job due to location. The first, guy one, is literally like the your typical transactor archetype who is an ultra mega "Chad" frat boy, he is actually very funny and full of life. The other, guy two, is like a lone wolf archetype of salesman with absolutely zero time for humor or BS. Talks big smack on Guy One not having his shit together (receipts, contracts, the whole nine yards) but does the same things, but is not at all self aware that he does the sameeee shit. Thats fine, I know that is part of it and tbh it is my job to take that stuff over now, thank God. I report to Guy Two, but take tasks from both.
So to continue, all that is fine, I get thats how things work especially in the beginning. But where I am struggling is the gravity of how drastically different they are than the prior guy + team I worked for. I do also get that no job is alike, but after years working under literal angels of a CEO + directors who basically never fucked around and you always knew where you stood, this is so different. I think this is because we all scaled the business together and DtC Ecomm is very different than B2B sales.
Guy One and Guy Two both literally have never once had to scale a business on their own so they do not understand the basics of what needs to get done. Zero structure, boom thats where I come in and what they need help with due to my background. When I establish structure, they literally have NO problem telling me they didn't read anything I said but "good job thank you so much". But then, when Guy Two and I meet, he is confused and he doesn't understand why something is the way it is despite me having everything mapped out.
This weeks meeting, Guy Two and I finally met to go over the stuff I had been establishing internally. This was a shit show. I literally had to remind him that everything he was seemingly worried about, he had literally commanded me NOT to touch with no updates or clearance to touch or ask about, lol. It got to the point where I had to just stop saying "well, in my notes I do have it down that I was asked to not touch that, but I am happy to shift gears and take that up now" and just drop the whole reminding him that he told me not to do it and just say "I am happy to take that over". Literally after 45 minutes of meeting, he couldn't handle any more operations and basically had a tantrum and vented to me about how badly he needed a drink and how he had so many meetings today and we would pick back up later next week. WHAT? No!! We needed this done NOW. When is it my authority to manage up? It is very difficult to manage up to your CEO, and not very common...right?
My questions do not get answered, I cannot get ahold of them easily, and they do not do what they say they're going to do. I know I am there to help but I NEED THE DOCUMENTS and other shit to HELP. This is all remote, btw. Like there is serious serious serious money involved here that I am responsible for since I am doing all the reporting right now. Some of the reporting requires a bit more than others, to which I literally need an answer for in order to get us all paid properly. I could go on and on, but it seems like they just have zero capability of thinking of anything but SALESSSS MONEEYYYYY CLIENTS!!! and thats it, but want a good operation, but do not care to review what I am establishing, and then get confused.
Is this normal for sales bros? Am I just a total noob of an EA? What do you do to change this shit so stuff doesn't keep skipping thru the cracks with MY needs in order to perform MY job without pissing them off, bugging all day? I did start a channel specifically for urgent questions but like...I have asked for important documents from Guy Two like 4 times now with no result! Do I bug him daily? That sounds miserable but like, I need these documents to do his accounts. I am so lost dude, SOS. I did not have this problem in my prior role, ever. Yeah, the CEO was overwhelmed, but he always got shit back to me after the 2nd nudge.
I have a digest every day of what I am doing, and a digest weekly of what got done and what needs to get done next week... but like I said, they do not read it. They read NOTHING. If they aren't reading anything, and do not want to do meetings, what are my options?
submitted by jazzymoontrails to ExecutiveAssistants [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 sonofabutch Smoked out tonight, so let's remember a forgotten Yankee: Tom "Smoke" Sturdivant

The 1950s Yankee dynasty had some great hitters -- Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Moose Skowron, Hank Bauer, Gil McDougald, just to name a few -- but the key to going to eight World Series between 1950 and 1959 (and winning six of them) was a pitching staff that led the league in ERA in five of those 10 seasons -- and in the top three in all 10!
Whitey Ford was the ace of the staff, going an unbelievable 121-50 (.708 W%) with a 2.66 ERA (140 ERA+) between 1950 and 1959. And that was with Casey Stengel often skipping Ford against weaker teams to save him for tougher match-ups, meaning that most of those wins came against top competition. In 1956, for example, the Chairman of the Board had 10 starts against teams with losing records, and 20 starts against teams with records of .500 or better. He went 7-1 with a 2.27 ERA against the losers, and 12-5 with a 2.59 ERA against the winners!
But behind Ford were some pretty good if less famous pitchers, including Allie Reynolds, Eddie Lopat, Tommy Byrne, and Bob Grim. And another, even lesser known hurler won two rings as a key member of the Yankee rotation: Tom Sturdivant.
A hard enough thrower in his youth that he got the nickname "Smoke," by the time Sturdivant reached the Yankees he was called "Snake" because of the way his pitches moved. He threw a curve that broke away from right-handed batters, a screwball that broke away from lefties, a sinking fastball, and a looping change-up. All were good pitches, but none of them was great. Ted Williams was asked how Sturdivant was so successful without overpowering stuff, and he replied:
"Maybe he hasn’t got a thing. But I notice one thing. He keeps winning."
Eventually he did find a thing, though. Particularly later in his career, Sturdivant became known for his knuckleball. He would call it his "money pitch." He also complained about the pitch like an unruly pet, saying "it just won't act right 'til late in the season."
Born in Gordon, Kansas, on April 28, 1930, Thomas Virgil Sturdivant grew up in Oklahoma City and attended Capitol Hill High School. Sturdivant was signed by Yankee scout Tom Greenwade, who also signed another kid from Oklahoma, Mickey Mantle. Like Mantle, Sturdivant was signed as an infielder. But Sturdivant also was a pretty good pitcher as a teenager, as Greenwade told a reporter:
"Used to be a high-school pitcher in Oklahoma City, you know. And one of the greatest. He set some kind of record. More than 100 innings without being scored on."
Sturdivant struggled to hit his first few seasons as an infielder in the minors, hitting .246 in 281 at-bats in 1950. He then spent all of 1951 and much of 1952 in the U.S. Army, and -- as happened to most major leaguers drafted into the service -- spent most of his time playing baseball for a base team. (As Whitey Ford once said: "Army life was rough. Would you believe it, they actually wanted me to pitch three times a week!") Sturdivant's success pitching in the Army, as well as a leg injury that cost him some of his running speed, convinced him he should ask the Yankees to try him at pitching.
"I knew I wasn't getting anywhere, batting .246 in Class B, so I decided I'd better try something else if I wanted to stay in baseball, which I did, badly."
He returned from the Army in time to pitch 86 innings with the Yankees' Double-A affiliate, the Beaumont Roughnecks, and went 3-3 with a 3.56 ERA. His days as an infielder were over.
Sturdivant went 10-7 with a 2.98 ERA in Double-A the following season, and 8-9 with a 3.57 ERA in Triple-A the year after that. Yankee pitcher Allie Reynolds, a fellow graduate of Capitol Hill High School in Oklahoma City who had gone 20-8 for the Yankees in 1952, had retired after the 1954 season. That winter, he worked with Sturdivant and told him he might make the Yankees in spring. Sturdivant's hard work that off-season impressed manager Casey Stengel. "We learned that he can be a fighter, and that's what we want with this club," he said.
He made the team out of spring training and made his major league debut on April 14 against the Red Sox at Fenway Park -- Boston's home opener. Bob Grim started the game and was bombed for five runs on seven hits through six innings. Sturdivant entered the game in the 7th, with the score 5-2, and gave up another run. The Yankees battled back in the bottom of the 8th, scoring two runs on back-to-back singles from Elston Howard and Jerry Coleman to make it a two-run game, but Sturdivant gave up a two-run single in the 8th to pitcher Ellis Kinder to put the game out of reach again, and the Yankees lost, 8-4.
In 33 games that year, Sturdivant posted a 3.16 ERA and a 1.302 WHIP, not bad for a rookie. He didn't give up a lot of hits, but he did walk 41 men in 68.1 innings. Stengel didn't mind that, though. In a 2020 article, "Big Walkers", Bill James wrote about how Stengel employed a strategy of "pitching around" power hitters. When a slugger was at the plate, pitchers were coached to work the edges of the plate, not giving him anything good to hit. He might chase pitches and strike out... he might hit something off the end of the bat... or he might walk. Any of the three, in Stengel's opinion, was a better outcome than throwing a pitch down the middle to a guy who could hit it 450 feet.
As a result, the Yankees often were near the top in walks allowed -- but also in fewest home runs allowed. And also in double plays. And also, not coincidentally, in earned run average.
In his five seasons with the Yankees, Sturdivant walked 221 batters in 524.1 innings (3.8 BB/9), but only gave up 45 home runs (0.8 H9). He also induced 44 double plays. James, in looking at what made the Yankees successful in the 1950s, discovered that they had a huge differential in HR-GIDP. In 1955, Sturdivant's first year in the league, the Yankees hit 175 home runs, and grounded into 101 double plays (+74). Yankee opponents had 108 home runs, and grounded in 145 double plays (-37). In 1956, the Yankes were +86, their opponents -53.
James wrote:
This is not a typical championship team pattern. In many areas, the 1950s Yankees were just an ordinary team. They really had only one outstanding starting pitcher, while Cleveland usually had three or four. But the Yankees huge advantages in Home Runs vs. Double Plays enabled them to win almost every year.
Sturdivant rode this strategy to back-to-back 16-win seasons, going 16-8 with a 3.30 ERA (118 ERA+) in 1956, and 16-6 with a 2.54 ERA (142 ERA+) in 1957.
After those two great seasons, though, Sturdivant's career went up in... well... smoke.
In Spring Training 1958, he held out for a raise, eventually signing for $18,000, a $4,000 raise from what he'd made the year before. He gave up 10 runs in his first two starts of the year, and then missed a month with a sore arm. When he came back, he was hit hard in his next three starts, and was banished to the bullpen. After a pretty good month (8.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 7 K), he was put back into the rotation, and went 3-2 with a 3.31 ERA in 32.2 innings, but his arm still wasn't quite right, and he missed some time in August due to a heel injury. He was on the World Series roster in 1958, but didn't pitch.
All off season there were rumors that Sturdivant was on the trading block, and after another slow start -- 0-2 with a 4.97 ERA, and still bothered by his sore arm -- he was dealt to the Yankees' favorite trading partner in the late 1950s, the Kansas City Athletics. "Snake", along with Jerry Lumpe and Johnny Kucks, was dealt for Ralph Terry and previously forgotten Yankee Hector Lopez -- a pretty good deal for the Yankees, as Terry and Lopez helped the Yankees to five straight pennants and two championships between 1960 and 1964. Lumpe, a little used utility player with the Yankees, proved to be a solid regular for the Athletics and then an All-Star with the Tigers in 1964. But Kucks, an All-Star with the Yankees in 1956, was done, going 12-21 with a 4.78 ERA (84 ERA+) in two seasons with the Athletics, and was out of baseball after the 1960 season.
Sturdivant would hang around another five seasons, and pitch for six different teams! He went from the Athletics to the Senators -- not the original Senators, who were now the Twins, but the expansion team founded in 1961 that would become the Rangers in 1972 -- then the Pirates, the Tigers, back to the Athletics, and then rejoined Casey Stengel on the Mets in 1964. Over that stretch he went 21-20 with a 4.16 ERA and 1.301 WHIP as a swingman.
The 34-year-old Sturdivant announced prior to the 1964 season he was running for the Oklahoma State Senate and that he'd quit baseball if elected in November. The Mets beat him to it, though, releasing him in May after he posted a 5.97 ERA in 28.2 innings. Maybe more as a campaign ploy, in July Sturdivant signed with the Oklahoma City 89ers. He went 6-3 with a 3.89 ERA and 1.365 WHIP in 74.0 innings. He lost the election, and retired from baseball.
After that, Sturdivant owned a trucking company and tried to drum up support for the Hall of Fame case for his old mentor Allie Reynolds.
In 2000, the 69-year-old Sturdivant was in a serious car accident. Someone -- he never learned who -- found him on the roadside, thrown from his truck after it had rolled five times. When the ambulance arrived, they thought he was dead. They strapped his body to a stretcher and loaded him into an ambulance.
Sturdivant told sportswriter Brian Jensen:
"When we were driving to the hospital, I was in the back and they had me strapped down and I guess when I came to, I raised my head and I said, 'hey could y'all call my wife for me,' and the driver almost jumped out of the van. It just wasn't time for me to go."
He had broken his back, both hips, his pelvic bone, his tailbone, multiple ribs, and had a punctured lung. He never recovered.
"I don't have a life," Sturdivant said. "You know, I have a hard time remembering a lot of stuff and I'm kind of slow. I kind of have little spells where I pass out and have a hard time walking straight."
Sturdivant died on February 28, 2009.
Smoke Show:
Sturdivant remained a Yankee for life. After his playing days were over and he was living in Oklahoma, he was an early adopter of a subscription service that allowed him to watch Yankee games!
submitted by sonofabutch to NYYankees [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 OldFart_Bot Henry Threadgill, what's your favorite format to take in?

Today I was listening to a podcast about AI, about what's going to come... "it's going to become intense" the interviewed was saying .
Perfect adjective to describe Threadgills Sextet, I thought. For both, the sound of his alto and also for how he writes (and chooses bandmates). Amazing musician he is.
submitted by OldFart_Bot to Jazz [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:23 Tg11T Jarace Walker to the Pistons

Now off the latest mock draft via NBA Draft Room on updates, it has Detroit at #5 overall taking Jarace Walker but in all honesty he should have always been the pick for the Pistons at #5 and here is hoping that he is especially since mock draft boards have had Whitmore going to the Pistons for the longest time until today. But what is your opinion on Walker?
submitted by Tg11T to DetroitPistons [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:22 Craig_Treptow B Chord has almost broken me

TL;DR My failure to play the B chord has almost robbed me of my desire to learn to play the guitar. How have you gotten over similar challenges with learning the guitar?
I support people here because I know what it is like. Today, I need to turn the tables around. I'm sorry if I ramble a bit.
I started learning with an instructor very late December of last year (2022). That was good because I knew almost nothing. My love of music centers around metal and rock. He knew this early on, so once I knew some chords, he started me on an all-chord version of "Sweet Child O' Mine".
That was also great because I spent a month or more working on my chord changes and strumming. After overcoming a lot of my strumming issues, I asked what was next. He said the last part requires knowing the B chord. Ahh, my first barre chord. Let's go!
In the first couple of weeks, I got over the pain, but could not get it to ring out cleanly (I mute the high E, and B strings). More weeks go by and I almost quit. Rather than that, though, I went and learned a simple version of the intro from Justin Guitar. I showed my instructor and that got him pretty excited. However, the B chord is still not clean.
Well, now months have gone by and I cannot seem to make any progress on the B chord and am getting very frustrated. Frustrated to the point that I find myself just not practicing anymore. I've gone 2 weeks without practice and finally got a bit motivated again. I was a bit rusty, but it all came back pretty quickly. Except I still suck at the B chord.
I should note that my instructor wants me to know the music and not just learn how to play random songs, which I agree with. I'd like to learn more about music theory while I learn if possible, and I think that is what he tries to teach. I asked to switch to every other week, which he was cool with.
Well, now I canceled on him again today. I gave him an excuse, but I know the reason is just this frustration, and I don't know what to do about it.
I don't like the idea of paying my instructor money to have him try to work with me on the B chord (and notes, and other stuff), especially when I'm not putting in the practice to actually make some progress. It feels like wasted time and throwing money away.
I'm considering just stopping lessons with him and going to learn stuff on my own and then reconnect with him after I can get the B chord to play cleanly. I'd still practice the song and add other stuff that interests me in the meantime.
I feel like I should walk away from the B chord for a while and go learn some power chords or something and see if I can learn a bit of some Metallica song, like "Seek and Destroy" or some other easy-sounding song. I'm hopeful that I might ignite some more desire again.
So who's gotten over barre chords and extreme frustration? How'd you do it?
submitted by Craig_Treptow to guitarlessons [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:22 Cheshirekitty22 Today has been a hard day.

I've been stressing a lot today and yesterday because my mom has come down to get the rest of her stuff from storage and see me. We have a rocky relationship, and the thought of having to see her and probably deal with her usual drama was too much for me.
It took all day to come to a decision on whether or not I should go. I had a fight with my coworker and I broke down, and my SO and myself came to the agreement it would be best to not see her.
I know she's probably pissed, and I was going to be stressed and feel bad about it with either decision. I'm most likely not going to see her for a few years.
I feel guilty about it, and I am exhausted after everything today. I wish this decision was easier, but maybe it's one of those things that show who I am. Does that make me selfish? Am I still someone you can be proud of? Did I make the right decision?
submitted by Cheshirekitty22 to DadForAMinute [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:22 PlatinumTheDragon What are people doing when they “Think”?

I'm around 67 rapid on I tried playing 1510 for the first time today, and the other guy took a full minute to move at one point. Usually I premove scholars mate, and if that doesn’t work (almost never) I instantly see the move I want to make and I make it. But what's going through someone's head when they sit there looking at the board for so long? It really doesn't seem that complicated to me.
submitted by PlatinumTheDragon to AnarchyChess [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:22 Modelskij Contract balance was scammed. Interesting a way how it was done.

Hi, guys!
I am just began to diving into smart contracts. And as a best way to learn, along with reading documentation and watching videos, is create something, I decided to create simple gambling smart contract. With probability of 49% you'll double amount you've send to smart contract.
The functions are: play, topUp and withdraw. Here is the code of the contract:
I was aware about possible vulnerabilities like re-entracy attack and function random() which could may manipulated by miners, but as it was just a test contract and nobody knows about it, I don't worried about it too much.
I've topUp contract balance for 0.3 bnb and made some test transactions, which you can see here:

After all tests balance was 0.32 BNB. And then suddenly became 0.
I've start watching transactions list, but nothing. Then I noticed another tab called Internal Txns. And there I noticed two transactions. First one exactly on 0.16 BNB to my contract address, so he expecting to receive 0.32 (whole contract balance) and he did. But as I understand that he did it from his contract he had deployed just before play. So I am very interesting what exactly way it was committed -wether it random() function was predicted or was it an re-entrancy attack or anything else. And also very interesting how does he found my contract which was deployed only about 12 hours ago. Appreciate any answers!
submitted by Modelskij to smartcontracts [link] [comments]

2023.06.08 00:22 CostPsychological Will Wight Delivers Waybound With Great timing!

So I just discovered the cradle series thanks to you kind folks and on may 6th, started listening to the audiobooks. I've devoured them as fast as I could and last night I finished volume 11 and quickly bought the next one. Today I come to find that Waybound was literally just released yesterday! The way others had talked about the series I had assumed it had been finished for some time. I did have a vague idea that I had never noticed a volume 12 before but it didn't occur to me that it just came out. More than half way finished with it and I'm so glad that part of me must of brushed fate and made it so I wouldn't have to wait. Happy for the journey, but sad to see it end.
submitted by CostPsychological to ProgressionFantasy [link] [comments]